Re: Help : Calling external programs in PL/SQL

From: David Russell <user_at_msn.com>
Date: 1997/11/25

If you are using Oracle 7 then you can create a pipe with DBMS_PIPE and have a watchdog program listening for messages on the pipe. You PL/SQL program then puts a message on the pipe and when the watchdog collects the message it executes the external program.

If you are using Oracle 8 then you can use the External Procedure facility that allows you to make trusted calls to external programs (via the NET8 Listener)

Both these approaches are described in the Orcale Application developers Guides.

Regards
David Russell

Jeon Kyonghun <khjeon_at_ktnet.co.kr> wrote in article <347AB87A.E2214596_at_ktnet.co.kr>...