Re: SQL*Loader with dbase files

From: mary huffaker <mhuffaker_at_webtv.net>
Date: 1997/11/25

I have had problems with the loader too. However, my instructor at college has allowed me to parse my raw data from a flat file generated by Microsoft Access into Excel, clean it up and resave it. I have found viewing the raw data in a print out and using describe to compare my table to what I am requesting my control file to do a good starting point in understanding the Log , Discard, and Bad file data.

I would recommend that you look into the NVL(MyColumn, 0.0) to get a zero float from the NULL .

However, you may want to just use
TRAILING NULLCOLS in your control file.

In my class I am using six tables for which I must use the loader to import the data. One of my control files looks as follows:

--Program: Ldpri.ctl
--Author: Ralph Burroughs
--Date 10/6/97
--Remarks:
--Bugs:

options(errors=750, load=300)
load data
infile 'priorities.csv'
into table Priorities
fields terminated by ',' otionally enclosed by '"' TRAILING NULLCOLS
(PriorityCode, PriorityDescription
)

I used Excel to make sure this raw file named priorities.raw was converted to a comma delimited (instructor left some commas out) priorities.csv file. Please note that optionally enclosed by is realy a ' " '. My textbook is SAMS Developing Personal Oracle 7 for95 but I use a UNIX box at college so everything is in command line. I used cat to get my files up to the UNIX box from my PC.

On the side, my instructor at Sierra College said he has a friend that makes 75000 pounds a year using this tool; but this guy must know the tool like the back of his hand. This tool has been the hardest part of the class because of the remarkably poor documentation on the use to the tool. I think Oracle Unleashed may be better than the book I am using.

Please advise if this helps:

rburroug_at_telecom.dgs.ca.gov

-Ralph Received on Tue Nov 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST