Paged Resultsets

From: Linus Concepcion <Linus_Concepcion_at_jh.com>
Date: 1997/11/25

Hi.

I need to implement a query engine so users can do searches on tables in our database. People will mostly be doing partial text match searches just like search web search engines.

Currently, our system uses either of two RDBMS packages: Oracle 7.x, and Sybase SQL Anywhere. We would like to display the resultset in pages, just like most web based search engines.

Ideally, the user would perform a query like find me all Documents where Author is a "Smith". The engine would then go in, and return 1 page (maybe 15 rows from the resultset), and the number of pages in the entire resultset. Ideally, after the 1 page is returned to the user/client, the server-side cursor would be dropped.

If the user decides to go to page 3, he/she can click on a Page3 link/button, and then the engine would pick up the cursor again at the appropriate page (starting at the 31st row), and display the next 15 rows there. The cursor would again be dropped.

It is also imperative that the user be able to go backwards in pages. So backward cursors need to be supported.

The reason I want to drop the cursor after each page is returned is that I don't want to take up any server side resources when they aren't in use. The system needs to scale up well.

Is there a good mechanism to implement this kind of thing in Oracle or in SQL Anywhere? I know this problem has been solved a million times before.

If it is of any help, I am using Visual Basic for the front end development. Visual C++ for the business components, and we use ADO (ActiveX Data Objects) to talk to Oracle and SQL Anywhere. However, there is probably a generic solution that isn't development platform specific.

I don't frequent these newsgroups too often, so I'd greatly appreciate an e-mail response to:

Linus_Concepcion_at_jh.com

Thanks