Re: Oracle + VB + ODBC

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/25

Tom Conder <tconder_at_csc.com> wrote in article <65c7t4$atu_at_explorer.csc.com>...
> I am writing a VB app to accept a login and a password which
> then is used to log onto the Oracle db. We are access the Oracle
> database through ODBC drivers. All of this has been set up.
>
> My problem is this: when the user enters an invalid username
> and password, the Oracle driver pops up and asks for the
> username and password (again). How do I keep this box
> from popping up?

No solution, just a comment - and nailing my colors to this conference ;-). Why not use a proper development tool like Delphi? VB relies heavily on Microsoft's Jet Engine for db calls. And if you want to fly fast and backwards, it's the ideal thing to use. Delphi OTOH supports BDE (Borland Database Engine). A simple example. A single SELECT count from a VB4 app using MS SQL-Server ODBC driver was 19 network frames. The same SELECT with Delphi 2 and the same ODBC driver was 4 frames. That's almost 4 times less network traffic that the jet engine.

There's has been some problems with BDE in Delphi v1.x and v2.x - but these have not been as bad as some of the problems you get with MS's Jet Engine. And with Delphi 3, BDE has nicely matured. Delphi Client-Server supports native Oracle. It's a bit expensive (about the same price as VB 5 Enterprise), but well worth it - the power of C++ with the ease of visual development.

What I fail to understand is why so many companies go for Visual Basic. What is BASIC - Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Intruction Code. Why on earth develop corporate systems (many of them "mission critical") using a language that is not OO, aimed at beginner programmers, is not functionally rich...?

Er..I'm off topic ain't I. ;-)
<getting off my soapbox>

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Nov 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST