Re: Are offline backups an option, or a neccessity?

From: S V <sv1_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/11/24

Muli Koppel <mkoppel_at_barakitc.co.il> wrote in article <3479A131.EB5B671B_at_barakitc.co.il>...

> > On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 12:52:11 -0600, tashkop_at_iname.com wrote:
> >
> > >We are about to implement SAP over Oracle with a 24*7 requirement. I
 am
> > >advised by the basis consultant of the implementation partner that we
> > >should be taking the RDBMS offline at least once a week for an offline
> > >backup, *or*, we need three times the amount of disk to carry out some
> > >kind of complicated rolling type backup. This is in spite of the
 Oracle
> > >RDBMS supporting an online backup mode, which we are advised to carry
 out
> > >nightly.
> > >
> > >Is it really neccessary to take the system offline regularly to do a
> > >backup? Can the online backups alone be relied on for a robust
solution?

NO. I knew a case(s) when someone was screwd up by relying on online backups only.

> > >I need to get my head around the issues here as the consultant said
 'the
> > >RDBMS supports an Online backup no problem' then in the next breath
 is
> > >advising to take the system down regularly, or triple our disk budget.

He is saying right thing.

> > >We would rather not do either if we can reliably not do so.

you cannot. You have to do offline backups or you will regret at some point.

In general, this is a question of price vs. avaiability. If you want 7x24 up to the last second - get a mirror system. Only this way you can _really guarantee uptime. Otherwise content yourself with several hours of downtime per week for offline backup.

Cordially,
Serge Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST