Re: Best Way to Shutdown?

From: George Dau <gedau_at_isa.mim.com.au>
Date: 1997/11/23

derman_at_mindspring.com (Jon Derman) wrote:

]I'm wondering about the best way to do an automated shutdown of an
]Oracle 7.3 database -- for doing cold backups, etc.
]
]I've seen scripts that just do a plain SHUTDOWN, and move on to the
]backup. That can't be right. I figure that's got to at least be
]changed to a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE.
]
]But then I wonder about how good it is to do a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
]before a backup. I wonder if it's important to have a clean normal
]shutdown. So I figure I should do a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE, then a
]STARTUP RESTRICTED OPEN, then a SHUTDOWN NORMAL, then do the backup.
]
]Or would it be adviseable to do a SHUTDOWN ABORT, then a STARTUP
]RESTRICTED OPEN, then a SHUTDOWN NORMAL, then the backup?
]
]Comments, please?

I have seen SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE just hang under v 7.0.16 and 7.1.6 esp when there are SQL*Net connections around. We had to do a SHUTDOWN ABORT, then STARTUP and SHUTDOWN and then backup the db.

I think the problem is worse if dead SQL*Net sessions are killed from within Oracle, rather than killing them from Unix.

--
 ,-,_|\   George Dau,                                             __
/    * \  Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet. (OO)

Food for spambots:
upstart_9_at_hotmail.com insider_at_insidernet.com insider_at_insidermall.com
wmgroupr_at_pobox.com amateursgal_at_hotmail.com fuknig2_at_hotmail.com
brettmrt_at_ozemail.com.au sportron_at_ix.entrepreneurs.net
clyde5734_at_gracefully.com promotions104_at_galaxy5.com
sales_at_global2000network.com profitlink_at_laribay.com
schapman_at_alpha-net.net primetym_at_sky.net jaugie_at_box100.com
yesleads_at_answerme.com pageplus_at_answerme.com bulkmail_at_rlyeh.com
publisher_at_rlyeh.com selfhelp_at_answerme.com richl_at_stockscape.com
info_at_stockscape.com sales_at_SendAd.com support_at_SendAd.com
macsupport_at_SendAd.com webmaster_at_SendAd.com xiaocf_at_cybersurf.com.sg
sowell_at_bizzy.net dey_at_algonet.se betters2_at_usa.net
comments_at_martianconsulate.com tracyb813_at_sprintmail.com