Raid devices on NT

From: <johnj_at_dbbasics.com>
Date: 1997/11/21

Does anybody know the pros and cons of using RAID 5 devices on NT servers. I come from the old school of Oracle that says for best performance and recoverability, spread your datafiles and system files across as many disk as possible. The more the better. Well, now with Oracle residing on NT servers and using RAID 5, I am seeing setups that have one (1) disk that has the NT system on it, and then 5 disk setup in RAID 5. Basically the RAID 5 treats it as one big disk and the stripping across disk is handled by the operating system. And to top that the system disk are usually too small to even put the Oracle system files on that disk. I am left with putting ALL of Oracle on one big RAID 5 disk. Let me hear the pros and cons guys and gals. Post back here or e-mail to johnj_at_dbbasics.com. Thanks.

John Jones
DB Basiscs.com
http:\\www.dbbasics.com Received on Fri Nov 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST