Does Oracle have a timeout feature

From: George Gastelum <ggastelu_at_bnr.ca>
Date: 1997/11/20

Hi,

I was checking if Oracle 7.3.2 has a timeout feature. For example, I lock a
record by doing an update on it. Someone comes after me and tries to do an update
to that same record. If I do not do a commit for a few hours the other persons
command will wait until after I do a commit. I would like to know if there is a
command that will wait for a specified amount of time. If there is no response
after that time, it will give control back to the process that is trying to
access Oracle. In ingres the command is:

That command returns control to the process that is trying to access ingres
after the timeout value has been reached. I checked alter session but did not
see anything that would help me.

Thanks,
George Received on Thu Nov 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST