Re: Personal Oracle + Oracle SQL Net

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/11/20

Greg Cobb <gpbcobb_at_btinternet.com> wrote in article <01bcf53e$4091b680$6c3363c3_at_dns.btinternet.com>...
> Has anyone successfully installed Personal Oracle onto a machine which
 can
> also access remote server via SQL Net. If so, how? I find that Personal
> Oracle takes precedence and I can no longer access remote network
servers.

PO does _not_ influences SQL*Net's ability to connect to any other Oracle database. Just make sure that TNSNAMES.ORA is configured correctly, and use the appropriate TNS alias as the host/connection string when making a connection, e.g. sqlplus system/manager_at_tnsname

PO does have a nasty default that starts up the local db when a SQL*Net connection fails to another database (wrong user, password or tnsname), but this can be changed in the registry (see HKEY\LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE for the DATABASE STARTUP parameter).

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Nov 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST