Re: Migrating from Oracle 6 (yes, 6) for DOS (yes, DOS) to 7 or 8...?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/11/19

In article <346A05D9.3F0B056E_at_bah.com>, Tom Stamm <stammt_at_bah.com> wrote:
>Hi, I have a DOS application that uses an Oracle 6 database that I need
>to migrate to Oracle 8 (or at least Oracle 7.3.x) on NT. I just
>downloaded and installed the trial version of Oracle 8, which has a
>migration assistant from Oracle 7, but nothing about Oracle 6.
>
>I'm new to Oracle in general, and I'm reading up on ver 8, but I can't
>find anything about 6 at all. (go figure...) Anyone know how to do this?
>Or have any pointers?

You will need to migrate up to at least 7.1 in order to migrate to 8.

There were a number of magazine articles on how to go from 6 to 7 in the '92-'93 time frame - perhaps you have access to a technical library that has magazines with "oracle" in the title. There was lots and lots of stuff published about 6, perhaps you can find some IOUG utilities disks.

There is a manual from Oracle specifically called the Oracle7 Server Migration guide. I don't know if it is included with the PC products. It has step-by-step instructions on migrating from 6 to 7.

>FWIW, it is pretty interesting to see how Oracle 6 for DOS works - I
>didn't know you could have database servers in DOS!
>
>thanks,
>-Tom

jg Received on Wed Nov 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CST