Re: Blocking 'Some' applications

From: Oliver Critchley <oliver.critchley_at_no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/11/18

JBringolf wrote:

> Trying to find out if anyone has looked into the possibilities which
> would allow the Database to allow connections from specific clients and
> block connections from others. Example: Allow an individual access to
> shared database tables using a company supplied program but not allow
> him/her to connect if they try using the same UserID/Password in
> MSAccess.

Something I heard on this newsgroup a while back but I've never tried myself:

Give the user two roles, one a default role which doesn't allow them to do anything and one a password-protected role which is *not* their default and which allows them access to the sensitive tables.

When the user connects using MS Access or SQL*Plus, they get their default role and can't do anything. When they connect via the custom application, the application issues a SET ROLE command to change the user's role to the password-protected one (the application knows the role's password). Hey-presto the user can see all the sensitive tables via the application.

Hope this works!

Oliver. Received on Tue Nov 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST