Using the COST-based optimizer in 7.3

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ford.com>
Date: 1997/11/18

OK, Oracle fans, we all know that the cost-based optimizer in versions **before** 7.3 was, well, "not quite up to expectations" (to put it nicely).

How about **with** 7.3? Is it safe to release unto an unsuspecting end-user base or is it still full of idiosyncracies that keep it in a "maybe useful in some circumstances" state instead of a "probably useful in most circumstances" state. (I know, "YMMV" -- look at my .sig and see if I'm familiar with the term :-) -- but I'm looking for the general case.)

In particular, has anyone used the 7.3 cost-based optimizer with ARS from Remedy Corp?? I'd be particularly interested in hearing war stories on that front.

--
Bill Meahan  wmeahan_at_ford.com
Ford Motor Company -- Operational Support Tools