Re: "Bus Error" while running OCI programs

From: Konstantin Kivi <konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru>
Date: 1997/11/18

Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de> wrote:
> rohit_at_techapp.com wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am facing a strange problem ..I'm trying to compile an OCI program using
> > gcc. When I try to run it ..is executes all the calls (at least appears
> > to ..) but exits with a 'Bus Error' message ..
> >
> > Has anybody else faced this problem before. I'd greatly appreciate any
> > help..
> >
> > I'm attaching the src for the small program I'm trying to run..
> > #include <stdio.h>

> "bus-Error" means your program tries to read or write at an
> memory-location that isn't part of the programms workspace. This occures
> in cases where pointers aren't initialized so that they point to a valid
> adress in memory.
> --

Not exactly. If we are talking of UNIX, there are two signals - SIGSEGV and SIGBUS. The latter is raised when bus error occurs while you described segment violation - SIGSEGV.

SIGBUS is raised on architecures with strict alignment rules, when, for example you try integer from odd address.

> Regards

> M.Gresz :-)

Sincerely yours, Konstantin Received on Tue Nov 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST