Fetching a long in OCI

From: Sverre Hjelm <shjelm_at_csulb.edu>
Date: 1997/11/17

Hi,

I have a small question I hoped someone could help me with. I have a table with a long (used to store an asciiz string), and I would like to get the size of this field so that I can allocate the correct amount of memory dynamically and fetch the data into this buffer in one operation. I was hoping
that odescr would return the largest value (which, when only fetching one row, would be the size of the field), however size was returned as zero. So, what I want to do is something like this:

oparse(..., "select LONG from TABLE where ID=whatever"); odescr(..., &size, ...);
char *buffer = malloc(size);
odefin(..., buffer, size, ...);
oexfet(...);

I know that in 7.3 I can select this in chunks, but I would really prefer to get the whole thing in one piece :) Please reply with a Cc to sverre.hjelm_at_norway.eu.net.

Thanks,

Sverre Hjelm, EUnet Norway Received on Mon Nov 17 1997 - 00:00:00 CST