Re: SQL??????????

From: sm <sm_at_nowhere.com>
Date: 1997/11/13

SQL stands for Structured Query Language. It was designed to easily manipulate data in Relational databases. At the heart of it, the langauge basically comprises of just 4 statements... SELECT, INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE. Whereas INSERT, DELETE and UPDATE allow the users to insert, delete and update data, SELECT allows users to read data. The beauty is that the user does not have to write the logic for how to read the data... just has to mention what data he/she wants to read and whatever the conditional clause is.

Access and other flat file dbs expect the users write the how logic.. for e.g., to compute the sum total of col A in table T for all rows in which col B is 0, one would have to write code to traverse thru all the rows and compute the sum if the condition is true. In SQL, one would write...
SELECT SUM(a)
FROM t
WHERE b = 0

Hope this helps.