Re: Help: Webserver PL/SQL Agent Errors

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/11/12

Bob Hayden wrote:

> I am trying to write database procedures that interface with the Oracle
> WebServer ver 2.1 PL/SQL Agent. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a
> descriptive message when the procedure compiles without errors but then fails
> to execute. I find the few lines in the owa_default_service.err file less than
> helpful. It always seems to say:
> "object <procedure name> is invalid and cannot be described"
> and references another procedure SYS.DBMS_DESCRIBE

I have written a number of ows2.1 procedures now and have usually found the errors in owa_default_service.err to be fairly informative. It sounds to me as if you have a general permissions issue, and as a shot in the dark I would remind you that permissions on packages and procedures can only be granted explicitly and not through roles (forgive me, if you knew this already). As far as displaying the error on a web page this should be possible through an exception handler e.g.

exception
when others then

   htp.p('ERROR: '||SQLERRM);

although it may be better to have a separate procedure which generates a standard error page with SQLERRM passed to it as a parameter e.g.

exception
when others then

   your_error_handler(SQLERRM);

As far as editors go, I'm afraid I actually LIKE using vi on Unix so that's what I stick to although emacs is available. On windows any word-processor capable of producing plain text files should do.

Hope this helps,

Ian Received on Wed Nov 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CST