Can Oracle access CD-rom as a table?

From: <kgrigg_at_acxiom.com>
Date: 1997/11/11

Hello All!!
First, I'd like to thank everyone for all the help and suggestions on previous posts to the group!! I just hope I can return the favor after a little more experience...

Now, I had heard this might be possible...can you have files on a CD-Rom and have Oracle access them as tables? We are going to be getting a lot of information on a monthly basis on CD-Rom and rather than INSERT/DELETE to tables on HD's, could I just map Oracle to point to the disk drives? A couple of questions...

  1. Would the files on the CD-Rom have to be in native Oracle blocks to do this...if so, could we have Oracle/SQL Loader to load files to a CD-Rom writer to do this?
  2. Could multiple CD-Rom disks be accessed as tables on a CD Jukebox?

Any suggestions or places to look on the Web for information are greatly appreciated!!

TIA!
Kelly
kgrigg_at_acxiom.com

ps. As before, please CC by mail too...our newsfeed here at work is not reliable and I may miss posts..