Re: HELP w/ PL/SQL writing to a flat file.

From: CyberSaurn <cybersaurn_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/11/11

>I've gone through the documentation in the oracle programmer's reference
>and the O'Reilly books, but I can't seem to get PL/SQL to write to a
>flat file. Can anyone give me actual code that I may be able to use to
>perform this procedure?

I was recently flabbergasted to discover that until Oracle 7.3, there is no  capability to do this (::scratching head in amazement::). One might kludge  around with DBMS_OUTPUT (max 1,000,000 characters per procedure I believe) or  other kludges, but they are that -- kludges -- and not very sustainable over  the long haul. UTL_FILE, mentioned in the previous response seems the way to  go.

I am new to this all myself -- we are processing Oracle views to create flat  files for loading into an OLAP too,l and are in the process of establishing  our architecture and design. My understanding from our DBA's is UTL_FILE will  not work with any release less than 7.3. We are currently investigating  creating an instance under 7.3 to house our PL/SQL and linking over to tables  in a 7.2.3 instance until we get all our instances upgraded to 7.3. Anyone out  there have any commentary on this approach? Received on Tue Nov 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST