Using PL/SQL 2.1 to write to a flat file

From: <cowitz_at_snipthisbit.cal.montage.ca>
Date: 1997/11/11

Hi,

I am on a short-term contract where I need to use version 2.1 to extract a series of flat (comma-delimited) files from complex queries. From what I understand, v 2.1 does not have the file I/O capabilities that v 2.3 has. In addition, its implementation of PL/SQL tables is relatively limited. I've keep getting caught by wanting to use 2.3 extensions...

Firstly, I can't use the SQL*Plus to spool to a file using DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE - there are far too many records to be handled by the SQL*Plus buffer. I estimate that one of the files will contain several million records.

I do have the option of using Pro*C to call stored PL/SQL procedures, but would prefer to avoid it as I have a short timeline and am not familiar enough with the VMS environment to jump right in quickly. That, and having not used Pro*C for a few years...

Is Pro*C my only option here? Does anyone have any suggestions? Please email me directly by snipping out the anti-spam bit in my email address.

Thanks,