Need Bar Code Font for Solaris2, CDE, Oracle Reports, HP5-Si/MX

From: Charles Roten <croten_at_big.aa.net>
Date: 1997/11/11

Has to be a Code 128 bar code font.

It _must_ be:

  1. printable in multi-font documents prepared with Oracle Reports, to an HP 5-Si/MX laser printer.

It _probably_ _should_ be:

   2) viewable in a preview of the aforesaid document in a

      Sun/Solaris CDE or OpenWindows (yeech!) environment, using the
      Oracle Reports interface.  Or, at least, thus spake the Oracle
      Support techies.

   3) permanently resident on the HP 5-Si/MX printer.  Again, that is
      the word from the Delphic Oracle.

   4) And in that case, the printer-resident font must be integrated
      with the screen-viewable font .. as these two will be driven
      from differing files in differing places.  The key file to
      modify seems to be "uifont.ali", buried somewhere inside the
      Oracle Reports administrative hierarchy.

I have already determined the following:

  1. GNU enscript 1.5 will print a simple test message in barcode to a Postscript printer, given *.pfa and *.afm files.
  2. Given a *.pfb and an *.afm file, I can get Openwindows to use a barcode font as a _screen_ _font_. And, believe me, xterm looks __extremely__ wierd when displayed in Code 128 Barcode font!
  3. The support offered by vendors, and, for that matter, Oracle Corporation, for user-installed fonts in a Sun/Solaris/Oracle environment, makes the hardest of vacuums look like chicken soup.

Please _do_ _not_ tell me to go to the font vendors for tech support. Mention the dreaded word "Solaris" to these folks, and eyeballs roll up in their sockets on the other end of the phone. The next thing I hear is the sodden "Thump" of the unconscious body hitting the floor. Pretty spooky over a phone line, let me tell you.

--
croten_at_aa.net (Charles D. Roten) | Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
                                 | Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any
Some Linux tools and fixes,      | and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail
The RedHat Linux ppp Checklist,  | sent to this address is subject to
Links to NT ports of standard    | a download and archival fee in the
    GNU/UNIX tools, at           | amount of $500 US.  E-mailing denotes
http://www.aa.net/~croten        | acceptance of these terms.