Re: FULL TABLE SCANS...

From: Peaches <fsgchi_at_wwa.com>
Date: 1997/11/10

Steve H <steveh_at_redshift.com> wrote in article <6467m8$guk$1_at_usenet87.supernews.com>...
> Wow, I wish my driving tables only contained several thousand records!

SNIP of example where full table scan is more cost effective than indexed search...

> So the goal is not to avoid full table scans, but to attain maximum
> performance. In my example above, the full table scan is much faster.
>
> Don't forget to use column histograms where necessary, and to run ANALYZE
> TABLE periodically.

In addition, if you are using the parallel query option, this *only* works when you are doing full table scans. I have found this extremely useful in selecting from a table with tens of millions of rows striped across multiple disks. Parallel query runs significantly faster than a single threaded query.

--
Peaches	  http://miso.wwa.com/~fsgchi
	  reply to: fsgchi at wwa dot com