Re: Sequence.Nextval Question

From: Randy DeWoolfson <randyd_nospam_at_cais.com>
Date: 1997/11/09

Dianne Siebold wrote:

use CURRVAL... that is _exactly_ what its for.

randy

> We are using Oracle 7.3 and VB 5.0 for a C/S application. Within the
> database, we have created sequences to use when adding new records to the
> table. The problem is, when a record is added to a table and the
> SEQUENCE.NEXTVAL is used, how can that value be returned to the front end
> in order to add records to other tables with that value.
>
> It was suggested that SEQUENCE.CURRVAL will return the current value, but
> with 50+ users adding records to the table, it seems possible that between
> the NEXTVAL and CURRVAL, a user could add another record and the CURRVAL
> returned would be incorrect.
>
> Please let me know if you have run into this problem and how it can be
> resolved. TIA for any assistance.

randyd_at_cais.com         brandall_at_erols.com       randy_at_euclidsys.com
                     remove .nospam to reply

Pursuant to US Code Title 47, Section 227, unsolicited commercial
E-mail sent to these addresses is subject to a $500 archival fee per
copy. E-mail recieved after any reciept of this notice implies
acceptance of these terms. A copy of USC Title 47, Section 227
may be found online at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html