Drop column package available for public use

From: Joseph S. Testa <jtesta_at_scioto.net>
Date: 1997/11/08

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------msC65AF913D56127BF123F00E2

  The drop column package I have been working on is available for public use. It is on the link of my web page: http://web.scioto.net/jtesta where the oracle scripts are. It is a self-extracting zip file. If you need access by some other way, drop me an email: mailto:jtesta_at_scioto.net , Send bug reports to same address. The source code for it is not available at this time, so if you have a problem with using code that you can not see the source, then by all means continue to drop columns using the manual method or go out and buy some commercial package to do it. The software is free, I want no money for it, it was a great learning experience in using some of oracle's standard packages(not enough documentation has been provided for those, although Steven Feuerstein and few others working with him(hi John B.) will have a book written in early spring to cover those).

  As for future enhancements, I'll be starting version 2 which will support some of the features of oracle 8 namely, I'll be able to handle converting long/long raw to clob/blob respectively when creating the new table. Also just so everyone knows, there is no magic or manipulating of underlying oracle tables(like tab$ or col$), this entire thing works with oracle's ddl and dml. My opinion is this: I would not write something for others to use that I would not use on my production database, hence I dont tinker with oracle's underlying data structures.

Well that should about cover it. Standard Disclaimer: Use at your own risk, it may not do what you want but it will do what I wrote(which still may be not what you want). I'd like to think it helps some new people out using oracle(and maybe some more experienced also).

you know where to send requests for enhancements and hate mail, thanx, joe

--
Joseph S. Testa, Oracle Database Administrator, mailto:jtesta_at_scioto.net
(home)

That is also the place to find the FREE, drop column package.
ICQ UIN:  2832230(&oracle, home).

--------------msC65AF913D56127BF123F00E2