Re: PL/SQL Catch*22?

From: Jerry Apfelbaum <japfelba_at_ican.ca>
Date: 1997/11/07

Thanks Dan. What you say is of course correct. The drawback to me is that it becomes virtually impossible to do the nice PL/SQL cursor operations like the CURSOR FOR loop.

Incidently, do you have any experience with this following problem: Can DBMS_SQL run SQL queries where the tables are mapped through synonyms? I can't seem to get them to work in DBMS_SQL although they work just fine the usual way.

Thanks again.

Dan Clamage wrote:

> > using dynamic
> > SQL for the DML is a bit of a crude workaround as I think that would
> > make the usual PL/SQL DML operations rather cumbersome or even
> > unworkable.
> Nothing crude about dynamic SQL. You can create the table dynamically, then
> do insert, update, delete, select dynamically. Sure, it's a complex, tricky
> thing to write, but think how much you'll learn.
> -djc

Jerry Apfelbaum           email: japfelba_at_ican.ca
Eastern Sun Group Inc.    phone:     416.240.9695
Toronto, Canada