How to make OCI client communicate its server through network?

From: Rich Tsui <tsui_at_cbmi.upmc.edu>
Date: 1997/11/06

Hi Oracle gurus:

   Is it possible that an OCI client talks to its oracle server through netwrok without setting up an oracle server on the client side? In other words, an OCI code running on machine A (solaris 2.5) without any
oracle server tries to connect to an oracle server on machine B (solaris 2.5).

What I found is my OCI code can not connect to Oracle server on different
machine. The following is the procedures I did.

  1. compile an OCI code on an oracle server machine, i.e., machine B. (it can query table without any trouble.)
  2. copy the binary code to machine A (running the same OS, Solaris 2.5).

    However, it failed to connect to server from machine A.

Can anyone tell me how to make connection between the client and server on different machine? I know it would work if you also install another oracle
server on the client machine but I don't want that way. Is there any alternative
way to do it? I guess somehow the sql*net on client side must be set up.

Thank you very much.

Rich Tsui
University of Pittsburgh Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST