Re: Viewing SQL Server through Oracle

From: Stephane Lajeunesse <stephane.lajeunesse_at_bell.ca>
Date: 1997/11/06

Don Fraser wrote:
> fine except when you come to restrict a query on the new oracle table - you
> can't. It seems that the column names are not loaded as literals but labels
> (hope this makes sense). When you look in the system tables - eg
> "user_tab_columns" you find the column names are in mixed case not upper.
> You can read the full table but not restrict by any of these columns that I
> know of. I don't know a solution to the problem other than to create the
> table on the oracle side of the fence and then load from the sqlserver. The
> problem then is in translation of datatypes.

Yes.. I had this problem when I uploaded an Access Database to Oracle. Seems MS is keen on mixing cases and permitting spaces in field names. The solution is rather easy, use quotation marks.

If you have a table [Employee] with field name [Mixed Case Field], you can do:

select *
from "Employee"
where "Mixed Field Name" = 134;

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Stephane Lajeunesse. Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST