Re: Viewing SQL Server through Oracle

From: Don Fraser <don_at_clear.net.nz>
Date: 1997/11/06

Mike Rowland <102622.2522_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote in message ...
>Is there a simple way to access MS SQL Server tables

Yes there is a gateway available from Oracle - http://www.oracle.com/products/gateways/html/transparent/tgmsss.html

I've used this (or and earlier version) but encountered a few problems. When create tables on the Oracle side of the fence with "create table oracle.tablename as select * from sqlserver.tablename". Every thing works fine except when you come to restrict a query on the new oracle table - you can't. It seems that the column names are not loaded as literals but labels (hope this makes sense). When you look in the system tables - eg "user_tab_columns" you find the column names are in mixed case not upper. You can read the full table but not restrict by any of these columns that I know of. I don't know a solution to the problem other than to create the table on the oracle side of the fence and then load from the sqlserver. The problem then is in translation of datatypes.

GOOD LUCK Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST