Sequence.Nextval Question

From: Dianne Siebold <dsiebold_at_wrightstrat.com>
Date: 1997/11/06

We are using Oracle 7.3 and VB 5.0 for a C/S application. Within the database, we have created sequences to use when adding new records to the table. The problem is, when a record is added to a table and the SEQUENCE.NEXTVAL is used, how can that value be returned to the front end in order to add records to other tables with that value.

It was suggested that SEQUENCE.CURRVAL will return the current value, but with 50+ users adding records to the table, it seems possible that between the NEXTVAL and CURRVAL, a user could add another record and the CURRVAL returned would be incorrect.

Please let me know if you have run into this problem and how it can be resolved. TIA for any assistance. Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST