Re: Q: Oracle Training for DBA

From: Joseph D. Sumalbag <joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com>
Date: 1997/11/06

Somehow I concur with your views , most of the DBA I know of who have been doing Oracle for at least 4 years doesn't have these certifications. Many that I met who has it , has been doing the job for 2 years or less , In fairness though perhaps because these exams were offered during that period.

However besides the revenues generated by these exams this provides potential employer for a "good" way employer to measure your skills specially if you have been involved with Oracle for less than a year or so.

It could be compared for a college diploma , It says you can do the job , but are you skilled enough to do it in the real world. That is why grandpa DBA is has some advantage compared to grandson.

Whenever client or potential employer ask for these certificates , why not just say " I have five years of experience being an Oracle DBA , I hope it is enough replacement for those papers you were looking for ...."

Honestly , I wouldn't mind having the exam, or atleast just reviewing the questions, since it would help me refresh those things that I've been practicing for years or maybe pickup new things that I missed along the way. But why pay that much if I can pickup those things on the books and on the actual day to day jobs.

There is no shortcut... skills always comes first, And the only way to get it it to plunge yourself into actually administering databases and solving those problems or prevent it from happening .

Just a thought !.....

Au revoir !

| Joseph Sumalbag
|
| Oracle DBA
|

| The opinions expressed above are my own and doesn't
 necessarily                           |