Re: MSAccess97(NT4SP3)-->ODBC-->Oracle7(Unix) Problem

From: Product Marketing <marketing_at_openlinksw.com>
Date: 1997/11/06

In article <63u1lg$jqt_at_no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>, john_at_hpe.ufl.edu says...
> Hi Jim.
>
> Ready for this?
>
> When you export stuff from Access, make sure that the table and column names
> are in UPPERCASE. Otherwise, Oracle won't be able to read them unless you
> put the table and/or column names in quotes (single, I think). I suppose
> quotes are still an option, but it's impractical in the long run. I'd put
> all the Access table and field names in uppercase and re-export. And
> remember, this won't make a difference to Access, because it ignores case.
>
> Convenient, eh?
>
> Note that Oracle stores tables and columns created with its own tools (such
> as SQL*Plus) in uppercase.
>
> Annoying, huh?
>

> I pulled out much hair over this, until a colleague pointed it out.
> Best of luck!
>
> -John Hopkins
> Programmer/Analyst
> Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
> Shands Hospital
> Gainesville, FL

This is not standard behavior for all ODBC Drivers, OpenLink Software provides High-Performance ODBC Drivers for Oracle that do not have this problem at all.

These Drivers are available in 2 formats :

Lite - Drivers Requires SQL*Net for remote Oracle DB Access Mutli Tier - Drivers do not Require SQL*Net for remote DB Access

You can download these drivers from : http://www.openlinksw.com on a free non expiring basis.

Regards,
Product Marketing
OpenLink Software Received on Thu Nov 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CST