Re: Simple way to rename an instance?

From: John Durst <jdurst_at_sky.net>
Date: 1997/11/02

You say you are renaming an instance, but you are attempting to rename the database as well from you description. The way to rename a database is to recreate the controlfiles with a different database name. You can do this by doing an ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE, modifying the output of this command (which is a file in your BACKROUND_DUMP_DEST directory) by adding the SET DATABASE <db_name> clause to the genereate CREATE CONTROLFILE command, doing a full cold backup of the database as a saftey precaution, and then running the modified CREATE CONTROLFILE command. If I understand what you did about renaming datafiles, you will also have to make these changes in the database before opening the database for use. To be able to mount the database to do the ALTER DATABASE command, you will need to change the db_name parameter in you init.ora back to the original value.

Hope this helps.

John Durst