Simple way to rename an instance?

From: gary e. robinson <ger_at_world.std.com>
Date: 1997/11/02

Hi,

Any suggestions?

I just did a fresh install of Oracle 7.2.2 on Sun Sparc Solaris 2.5.1 and I need to change the instance name due to a conflict.

I impulsively edited and renamed lots o'files like initX.ora, configX.ora, data files, control files, listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, etc, etc, but find that the CONTROL FILE is now holding things up with the following error: (Silly me.)

SQLDBA> startup
ORACLE instance started.
ORA-01103: database name 'A' in control file is not 'REPO' Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.

Must I rename every object from *within* Oracle in order to keep the control file up to date?

(Sure would be nice to take binary file editor to the control file.)

Thanks in advance,
Gary Robinson
Gary E. Robinson
ger_at_world.std.com
"eschew obfuscation such as this." Received on Sun Nov 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CST