Re: How Can Oracle Get Com Port Message?

From: Michael Krolewski <mkrolews_at_upw.com>
Date: 1997/11/01

ªü´ö Thenardier wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My system needs to capture data from the com port (com1 or 2)
> that receives data transfered from a turnstile type of machine.
> But so far, it seems Orcale does not support such low level
> data communication technology in its development tools.
>
> How can i deal with such situation? Thanx a lots!
>
> Thenard

The simplist method might be to incorporate Oracle into the software that looks at the trunstile/com ports eg proC.

Basically, it should be straight forward.

A significant issue may be if the database is shutdown for a time while the turnstile software is running. You need the environment variable ( .. main(argv, argc... , environment) ) which most people ignore to restart the connection to the Oracle database. I cannot recall the exact function call, but I recall that not having the enviroment variable made a reconnect impossible once the database shutdown. The oposite condition - the program disconnects from Oracle and reconnects is handled easily by the connect/disconnect statements.

Mike K. Received on Sat Nov 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST