Exporting Oracle DB Question

From: Michael R. Burke <mike.burke_at_born.com>
Date: 1997/10/30

I have a question on exporting Oracle database components from the DB's data dictionary.

Specifically, I'm trying to find a way of exporting database componenets (tables, indexes, triggers, stored procedures, etc.) out of the data dictionary and into a file.  This file would essentially be one large script which would recreate these components.  One last requirement is that I do not want to export any of the data in the database.

Oracle provides an "export" command which will export the database in one of three ways.  The following describe the method which is closest to statisfying my requirements:

"Full mode - the full database is exported.  The entire data dictionary is read, and the DDL needed to re-create the full database is written to the export dump file.  This includes all tablespaces, all users, and all of the objects, data, and privileges in their schemas.  (Excerpted from "Oracle DBA Handbook", Kevin Loney).

The problem is that this method also exports the data from the database.

Does anyone know of another way that I could accomplish this without exporting the data?

Please respond via e-mail

Thanks,
- Michael Burke Received on Thu Oct 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CST