Re: Setting up failover server (unix)

From: Ken Shirey <kshirey_at_commercial-data.com>
Date: 1997/10/29

I have had good luck running Oracle Names on both the primary and failover machines, with the client's config files pointed at the primary name server (which happens to be the primary database server) and the backup names server pointed to the failover machine. It so happens that if the primary machine goes away, so does the names server - pointing your clients at the failover server. Of course, names is a separate entity from the rdbms, but a simple cron job which runs every minute or so can kill the names server if the background processes aren't there...

Good Luck
KS

The opinions expressed here ARE those of my employer, since I work for myself... :-)