Re: How to CM an Oracle DB

From: Ken MacLeod <ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Date: 1997/10/28

Jym Dyer <jym_at_igc.org> writes:

> > Use a tool like ERWin to reverse engineer the database schema
> > and version control the schema. Extract all the database
> > objects as individual files of ddl (create table.., create
> > procedure... etc) and version control these.
>
> =o= Basically I advise the same thing, except I recommend
> dumping the schema and other DDL objects as text files (SQL
> scripts). I can do this with PowerDesigner; I don't know
> whether ERwin or Designer/2000 will do it.

Are you describing a one-time dump and then using source control on the generated files from that point forward or are you describing using a source control tool to do snapshots?

I really don't like either because the former disconnects from the tool and the latter really isn't ``source control'' and can be difficult to track changes against.

Or did I miss that altogether?

--
  Ken MacLeod
  ken_at_bitsko.slc.ut.us