Re: Loading Oracle 8.0 from OpenIngres 2.0

From: Peder Holst <pederh_at_elektrosoft.se>
Date: 1997/10/27

Steven A. LaPierre <tmsoft_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote in article <3450C0D0.B19587B6_at_bellatlantic.net>...
> I am about to begin the process of creating and loading an Oracle 8.0.3
> database with the tables and data from an existing OpenIngres 2.0
> database. Both databases will reside on the same NT 4.0 server. I have
> many years of Ingres experience, but am relatively new to Oracle. Is
> there anyone out there who has done this before and who can pass on any
> time-saving tips, pitfalls to avoid, or other pearls of wisdom? Thanks
> in advance.
>
> Steve LaPierre
> Tower Mountain Software, Inc.

Steve,
A replication and conversion tool called SQLMover can do the data migration and replication part for you. A flexible tool for the DB-knowledgeable with full error handling
capabilities that allows you to replicate and convert automatically between any ODBC heterogeneous or homogeneous compliant datasources including DB2, Oracle, Sybase, SQL Server, Access, Text files, Ingres, Informix. SQLMover can be installed on a NT Server or a WS (or Windows 95) and initiated manually or automatically. It has transaction support. SQLMover uses standard, simple or complex SQL SELECT statement in the source end and INSERT, UPDATE, INSERT then UPDATE, UPDATE the INSERT or DELETE statement towards the destination database table.

Data conversion and cleaning can be performed by using the SQL conversion or string functions in the SELECT statement towards the source DB, by using the built in Format Mask functions or by using triggers in the destination database. To evaluate you can download from www.sqlmover.com (follow the download buttons).

Depending on your business rules you may choose from a variety of replication design models.

For DW purposes you can choose to let SQLMover aggregate your data by using SELECT -GROUP BY. For more ideas info about oneor  two way replication setups please use the support form att www.sqlmover.com for more info.

SQLMover processes can be configured to work in parallell. Peder Holst,
pederh_at_elektrosoft.se Received on Mon Oct 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST