Re: Conversion from v. 6.x to v. 7.3

From: Dan Clamage <dclamage_at_idcomm.com>
Date: 1997/10/25

Casper Thrane <ct_at_benau.dk> wrote in article <344F4038.E8A111AC_at_benau.dk>...
> I am converting a v. 6 db on a Clics-machine to a v. 7.3 on NT. Is it
> possible to convert my char columns to varchar2 columns during the db
> conversion, or do I have to do it later?
Casper, I just moved an O6 schema (with data) to O7.3, but UNIX to UNIX.. When you use 7.3's export from O6 and import (of course using 7.3's) ALL char columns are converted to varchar2 FOR FREE! The other benefit is that data values with trailing spaces are rtrimmed. I have no idea what a Clics-machine is, however. Hopefully, the export file will move over to your NT box OK.
If not, you can always reverse-engineer the schema, then use an editor to replace CHAR with VARCHAR2. I wrote such a PL/SQL package to do this (the r-e). Or use some 3rd party application. I wonder if Designer/2000 could read in O6. Probably.

%
Von Neumann was the subject of many dotty professor stories. Von Neumann supposedly had the habit of simply writing answers to homework assignments on the board (the method of solution being, of course, obvious) when he was asked how to solve problems. One time one of his students tried to get more helpful information by asking if there was another way to solve the problem. Von Neumann looked blank for a moment, thought, and then answered, "Yes.".
%
%
There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.