Re: Please Help with an *Advanced* question. Thanks.

From: Goran Korsgren <x.goran_at_champion.se>
Date: 1997/10/23

In article <60pk0l$r2p_at_examiner.concentric.net>, Nnoor_at_cris.com (NNOOR) wrote:

> The time has come for our project to move forward and have us
> developers coexist with the users. That means that the database
> and schema will be used by the users and we can't "play" with it
> anymore. But devlopment requirements are otherwise. We have to have
> a "play" version of the same schema. We are stuck with hardcoding
> the schema name in the application (e.g. we don't say Select * from
> aTable, rather select * from schema.aTable, etc etc). Since we can't
> have the same schema name twice in a database, what we gotta have is
> another database (an instance?) for developers only and leave the
> "live" data alone. The problem is that I don't have a clue as to how
> to implement a brand new database (an instance) and have it running
> on the same NT server (along with the "live" oracle DB server). Do I
> have to install Oracle a 2nd time in a new directory, if so, will it's
> "services" happily co-exist with the other (live) instance? Or what?
> Please pardon my ignorance. I know I am asking for a lot of information
> here, but I will appreciate even the direction towards the right set of
> documentation.
>
> Thank yo uall for all your help!!!
>
> Regards,
> Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com)

Hi

You could certainly create another instance on your server (and a third, and so on), no worries, as long as you have enough RAM and diskspace.

You don't mention what version you're running. If you have 7.3.3 there's a good step-by-step instruction in chapter 5 of the 'Getting started for Windows NT' manual.

A second solution is to buy a second server to use as a test-machine, after all they are not that expensive nowadays.

Regards
Göran

--
goran_at_champion.se
Göran Korsgren, ChampionChip AB, Stockholm, Sweden

If replying by mail, please remove x. from address!