Re: Problem with AIX 4.1.5 File System & Oracle8..... URGENT! Production System is down !!

From: Kevin Gee <geek_at_cse.uta.edu>
Date: 1997/10/22

Patrick Tan wrote:

> Hello,
> I badly need advice on how to recover from this disaster.
> My root partition (/) is showing this error, for unknown reason.
>
> > ** Checking /dev/hd4 (/) MOUNTED FILE SYSTEM; WRITING SUPPRESSED;
> > Checking a mounted filesystem does not produce dependable results.

These above messages should be clear, but to further clarify them:

You are trying to run fsck on a mounted file system. Ignore any messages you are receiving.

> > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> > ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> > ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> > ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> > ** Phase 5 - Check Inode Map
> > Bad Inode Map (NOT SALVAGED)
> > ** Phase 6 - Check Block Map
> > Filesystem integrity is not guaranteed
> >1555 files 15984 blocks 400 free
> >There are root file system problems. (NOT CONTINUED) (TERMINATED)
>
> I tried to boot up from the CDROM in Maintenance Mode, hopeful that fsck
> /dev/hd4 would
> work. However, fsck could not detect this device /dev/hd4.

You probably haven't imported the rootvg yet.

> I'm not sure how this is related, but my Oracle Database now refuses to

It probably isn't related. Your Oracle code is probably installed into /dev/hd2 (/usr file system), which would be isolated from /dev/hd4 problems, usually.

> START-UP at all.
> It was working perfectly for 2 weeks since it went into Production. Then
> suddenly it showed
> this error.
>
> > $ svrmgrl
> > Oracle Server Manager Release 3.0.3.0.0 - Production
> > (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
> > 0509-037 System error - error data is: oracleTSGMCU
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_getspecific in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_setspecific in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_key_create in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that does not have a
> valid format.
> > 0509-037 System error - error data is: oracleTSGMCU
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_getspecific in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_setspecific in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-023 Symbol pthread_key_create in svrmgrl is not defined.
> > 0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that does not have a
> valid format.
> >ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
>
> Is this a Operating Related Problem or an Oracle related Problem?
> Please help,

Do other applications or kernel extensions fail the same way? If not, then Oracle is probably at fault. In general, the way to tell if your application is failing due to an OS problem is to reproduce the problem on your OS WITHOUT using your application.

--
Kevin Gee
Kernel/LVM/File system/Boot/HACMP Support - AIX Support (IBM)