Re: OpenIngres vs Oracle

From: Ian McEwan <imce_at_wt.com.au>
Date: 1997/10/21

Vince,

I don’t normally risk upsetting total strangers but in your case I’ll make an exception. My apologies to the rest of the world.

At 05:13 PM 10/18/97 -0700, Vince wrote:
>I have been administering and developing with Ingres V6.4, OI V1.2/2.0, MS
>SQL Server V6.x and Oracle V7.1/7.2/7.3/8.0 for about 7 years now.

Really? some of those products haven't been available for 7 years, in fact most of those products haven't been available for 7 years.

>I would TOTALLY recommend Oracle over Ingres. No question in my mind that
>Oracle is more robust, much easier to integrate with middleware software and

You obviously completely skipped Oracle version 6.

>has tons of vars, oems and 3rd party support. And if you are running home
>grown applications against the RDBMS, you'll have much better connectivity
>and more options.

There was a time when you could say that about dBase IV so what's your point.

>Plus, Oracle runs way, way, way faster than Ingres or OpenIngres. Obviously
>there are many more factors to the equation. I've put those factors into my
>equations and the results favor Oracle unanimously over Ingres.

Faster, doing what? I have worked for both ASK and Oracle and have benchmarked both products. I've made Oracle go faster that Ingres and Ingres go faster than Oracle. Big deal, what does this prove?

What other factors have you considered? The fact that Oracle requires at least twice as much DBA support as Ingres. Is this part of your job continuity planning?

>BTW, if you are interested, as you mentioned the possibility of replacing
>h/w too. I configured a Oracle RDBMS server using a Intel based H/P
>NetServer running WNT at a cost of approx. $60K that outperforms a similarly
>configured H/P 9000 K100 running H/P UX B.10.01 at a cost > $100K. And did
>it with double digit percentage performance improvement.

Now I know you're kidding. How much work did you have to do on the 9000 to make it slower than the NT box. Have you benchmarked OI 2.0 on NT against Oracle? Do it properly, no cheating, and OI will run faster and scale better, particularly on SMP hardware.

>I surprised alot of people and most importantly myself.

You are obviously easily impressed.

>Have fun!

I intend to, that's exactly why I use Ingres over Oracle.

>Greg Pavlov wrote in message <622qi1$ojr_at_niktow.canisius.edu>...
>>
>> We are at a crossroads: do we migrate to OpenIngres or Oracle ?
>> I would be interested in hearing from anyone who addressed this
>> decision formally, how you reached your conclusion, and what has
>> been the aftermath. We have used Ingres since version 3 and are
>> currently at 6.4. We are a moderate-sized installation running
>> on a mix of DEC MIPS and IBM RS6000 machines, most to be replaced
>> soon. Our largest database contains apx. 1500 tables consuming
>> apx. 5 GB of disk and we have apx. 150 "intense" and 250 "casual"
>> users. To be honest, our ambivalence is much more with CA than
>> Ingres itself.
>>

>> greg pavlov
>> [not affiliated with Canisius College]

>> Bipolar, adj.:
>> Refers to someone who has homes in
>> Nome, Alaska, and Buffalo, New York

| Ian McEwan                            Email:  imce_at_wt.com.au          |
| Technical Director                    Mobile: +61 412 443 106         |
| Australasian Computing Services       Fax:    +61 8 9332 6882         |
| PO Box 60, Bullcreek, 6149                                            |
| Western Australia                                                     |