Re: from database to another database data load

From: <joseph_sumalbag_at_bose.com>
Date: 1997/10/21

Glenn dela Cruz wrote:

> does anyone tell me how to load data from one oracle database to another
> oracle database.
>
> assuming:
> database A is the source
> database B is the destination
>
> database B fields to be populated are C,D,E
> database A fileds to be loaded to database A are F,G,H
>
> these fields have same data types
>
> can i use this?
>
> insert into table B(C,D,E)
> values(select F,G,H from A);
>
> i tried it, but it is not working. Is there a better way?
>
> help! I'm a novice oracle programmer...
>
> please email me..
>
> thank you,
> Glenn
> glendc_at_sprint.ca

I think you are being confused when you say loading one database to another database . You maybe talking about table to table data transfer as your sample shows ...

If it is table to table transfer then I guess the SQL should go

    insert into table B(C,D,E)
    select F,G,H from A ;

provided that you both own the tables, if not then you should have at least a select privilege on the other table and you have to specify the schema since the table belong to another account.

If it is really a database to database transfers then I have to say that you have to ask help from your DBA since it involves more than SQL .

   He could do it in several ways .

       One is by EXP and IMP
       Another is by TEXT dump and SQLLoader
       Still another one is by DB links .

In any of these ways you need to have more privileges than those given to developers.

I hope this helps ..

By the way ... are you a PINOY ?
Your surname looks so familiar .

Au Revoir !

Joseph_Sumalbag_at_Bose.com
Oracle DBA

Disclaimer

     All the view and statement above are of my own and doesn't reflect the opinions and views of my CLIENT company . Received on Tue Oct 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT