PL/SQL and search engines

From: Bryan J. Gentile <bgentile_at_bdsinc.com>
Date: 1997/10/20

I am trying to build a search engine. I want to search on two fields in my database.

I have an interface where the user inputs the search keyword. I then want to see if the keyword that the user entered matches any of the words in two different fields in my table in the database. What is the best way to do this. I want to search for any instances of the keyword in UpperCase, LowerCase, and how it was typed in. I also don't want it to only search for an exact match of that word, for example, if the user typed in 'Authors', and a field in the database contained the word 'Author', I would want the search to pick this up. If I just did "select message_id from message where message_subject LIKE 'Authors'", then it would not pick it up.

--

Bryan J. Gentile Consultant Business Data Services, Inc. Glastonbury, CT 06033 Phone: (860)633-3693 (ext. 3025) Vmail: (ext. 6030)