Re: Q: Architecture of an Oracle Web App

From: replace this with _at_ <_at_)xs4all.nl>
Date: 1997/10/20

On 17 Oct 1997 20:02:57 GMT, "Mick Davies" <mdavies_at_elekom.com> wrote:

>Mandate: recreate the application supporting Netscape browser, Java,
>???Webserver in the middle, and Oracle on the back-end. AND try to do it
>with as platform-independent an architecture as possible, which to me means
>confine PL/SQL to the back-end where it belongs.

Mick, I don't know if it is of any use for you, but we are using the Developer Server from Oracle with which you can develop straight Oracle Forms which are being 'broadcasted' to your web browser via Java applets. Maybe you should take a look at it. No PL/SQL, no stored procedures, no html commands. It's worth the investigation.

BTW, we're experiencing a lot of trouble with the setup, because Oracle is ahead of the browsers. Oracle is using the newest Java development kit, which have not been installed in Internet Explorer and Netscape yet. We're wrestling with the appletviewer.