Re: A $64k ? (UNIX commands on NT)

From: Kees Verruijt <kees_at_redwood.nl>
Date: 1997/10/20

Brian P. Mac Lean wrote:
> =

> I need to convert a file from EBCDIC to ASCII and then use it as input
> to SQL*Loader using as little disk space as possible. On UNIX
> machines this can be accomplished easily using =93dd=94 to do the
> character conversion and a FIFO pipe to handle the I/O. An example:
> =

> $ mknod fifo_pipe p
> $ dd if=3D/dev/rmt/0 of=3Dfifo_pipe conv=3Dascii &
> $ sqlldr userid=3Dfoo/bar data=3Dfifo_pipe control=3Dfoobar.ctl
> =

> What is the NT solution, or is there none?
> =

> \\|//
> (0-0)
> +---------oOO----(_)---------------+
> | Brian P. Mac Lean |
> | Senior Oracle DBA |
> | brian.maclean_at_goodnet.com |
> | brian.maclean_at_sendero.fiserv.com |
> |__|__|
> || ||
> ooO Ooo

I don't think there is even a way to convert EBCDIC to ASCII, under NT. Not out of the box, that is. =

And the named pipe trick is also much more complicated under NT. That is, I've never seen anyone use them like unnamed pipes. Maybe it can be done, but I think the easiest solution is to write a "small" program if it has to be NT. Maybe get yourself a nice little Unix box on the side?

Kees Received on Mon Oct 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT