Re: PERL and Oracle mis-match?

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ford.com>
Date: 1997/10/16

[posted and mailed to the author]

Darryl Hamer wrote:

> We have Perl 5.003, which I believe was installed
> using a Makefile. The problem we are having is in installing the DBI
> and DBD modules, which are necessary for us to access our Oracle
> database in any easy and consistent way. I run perl Makefile.PL for DBD
> which seems to work OK. When I do the same for DBI, I get an error
> saying the compiler can't find the module in @INC. Perhaps I'm
> installing these modules in the wrong place. Our path is
>
> /opt/local/lib/perl5 AND
> /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks very much.

You do have permissions to write to the /opt/local/lib/perl5 directory, don't you? If not, DBI will not install hence will not be found in the library path.

You DID run make after doing the perl Makefile.PL to actually do the build, didn't you, since doing just "perl Makefile.PL" only configures and creates the Makefile, it does NOT run the whole process? And after doing the "make" you MUST do a "make install" to actually do the installation.

You DID check for the platform-specific caveats - particularly the ones about systems (primarily HP-UX) that require static linking, didn't you? (You didn't specify your platform)

You might get more mileage out of posting to comp.lang.perl.misc if going back and re-reading the README thoroughly doesn't help.

Also, see http://www.hermetica.com/technologia/DBI for more info

--
Bill Meahan  wmeahan_at_ford.com
Ford Motor Company -- Operational Support Tools