Re: Oracle running Linux?

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo_at_pc7537.hil.siemens.at>
Date: 1997/10/15

In comp.databases.oracle.server Sven Arndt <sar_at_tng.de> wrote:

: I would like to install an oracle 7.3 database (SCO) on linux. I know
: that it is possible - but is there somewhere a MINI-HOWTO or short
: manual available? I'm running SuSE-Linix...

i hope the attached HOWTO helps.

I have been working with installing Oracle 7.3.x on Linux - it seems that I now have a working method (mostly inspired by Roland van Hout on the ibcs list):

  1. Get and install iBCS with support for SCO programs.
  2. Get Oracle 7.3.x for SCO 5.04 - I have got a test license for the Enterprise Server, but this methods seems to work with the Workgroup Server too (look at www.oracle.com for test license) I haven't tried it thoroughly, though.
  3. Copy the entire CD (or unpack the files from www.oracle.com) to a directory - the one that's later to be $ORACLE_HOME.
  4. There are some directories called mesg_ship - copy or move the content of these to their parent directories - the consequence of not doing this is, that you won't get meaningful messages from eg. svrmgrl and sqlplus.
  5. Create directories $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/audit, $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log and $ORACLE_HOME/network/log - if you don't, you'll get messages like 'couldn't create audit trail ...'
  6. Create user group dba and user oracle as member of dba, with homedir == $ORACLE_HOME
  7. Edit either /etc/profile or user oracle's .profile to set ORACLE_HOME

to the directory where you placed the content of the CD/the files from www.oracle.com. Set ORACLE_TERM=vt100 and ORACLE_SID= <a four letter word like orcl or test>. Include $ORACLE_HOME/bin in PATH.
8. In $ORACLE_HOME/dbs create init<$ORACLE_SID>.ora from init.ora and edit it to fit your needs. Ie. if ORACLE_SID is orcl, the parameter file should be initorcl.ora.
9. Log out and log in as oracle - this way you can 'connect internal' in

svrmgrl
10. Now you can start svrmgrl (the one that used to be called sqldba). 11. In svrmgrl you 'CONNECT INTERNAL' the response should be something like 'connected to an idle instance'. 12. Now 'STARTUP NOMOUNT' - this gives some lines of status info.
13. Finally 'CREATE DATABASE' in some modification; here you'll need some documentation to get the details; saying just create database will work, but it creates a small default database - about 5Mb.

This is as far as I've got till now - I havent had the time to experiment
any further. The next thing I'll have to do is run (from svrmgrl) the catalog.sql, catproc.sql and others from $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin

/jan Received on Wed Oct 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT