Re: What is the current local time zone ?

From: Martin Terpstra <terpstra_at_ats.nld.alcatel.nl>
Date: 1997/10/15

AMARENDRA B NETTEM wrote:

> In Oracle you have to use a date function called NEW_TIME.
> select NEW_TIME(DATE,'TIME ZONE YOU ARE IN', TIME ZONE YOU WANT') FROM
> DUAL;
> For example if you are in CST and wants time in EST THEN
> SELECT NEW_TIME(DATE,'CST',EST') FROM DUAL;
>
> AST Atlantic Standard Time
> BST Bering Standard Time
> CST Central Standard Time
> EST Eastern Standard Time
> GMT Greenwich time
> MST Mountain Standard Time
> HST Alaska-Hawaii Standard Time
> NST Newfoundland Standard Time
> PST Pacific Standard Time
> YST Yukon Standard Time
>
> Hope This Helps
> AMARENDRA
The problem I have is that I don't know in which time zone the Oracle application is running. The Oracle application can run everywhere and the Oracle application has to determine run-time what the current time zone is.
If there isn't a way to determine the time zone from Oracle I have to pass a parameter to the Oracle application which indicates the time zone.

thanks

--
Martin Terpstra                     Alcatel Telecom Nederland
Software Design Engineer            Engineering & Development