Re: Client Failure!

From: Arman Rawls <nospam_adrawls_at_stupp.com>
Date: 1997/10/15

We have the same kind of scenerio but on HP machines. What I did was set multiple IP addresses to the instance in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. With HP using MC/Service Guard running a cluster, each package is assigned an IP address. In my TNSNAMES.ORA file I set the first IP Address to the Package so no matter which machine it is on it the client will find the instance. If the cluster is down and the database is operating on a single machine then it uses the IP address for the machine it is running on. So what I have is:

prod
IP address of package (first route).
IP address of first machine (second route). IP address of second machine (third route).

It looks at the IP addresses in order. There is a SQL*Net parameter that picks one randomly and you need to make sure that this parameter is not being set. I can't remember what it is though.

Hope this helps.

Scott Barman <sbarman_at_bdm.com> wrote in article <34428BF6.2DD_at_bdm.com>...