Re: Problem starting Oracle engine on Win95

From: Vsevolod Afanasjev <afanasjev_at_cse.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 1997/10/14

Keith Bennett wrote:

> A friend of mine has just installed Oracle Developer 2000 from a CD that
> came from the Sams book. Apparently, when we start SQLPlus, the data base
> has not been started. If I run "sqldba connect internal", the data base
> is started as a side effect and SQLPlus then works.
>
> How is the data base supposed to be started? Is there a better way to
> start it up? Like a single executable that can be put in the startup
> folder?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> - Keith Bennett

There are several ways to start Oracle database, it depends on the type of the Oracle installation (Personal Oracle vs. Oracle Server) and operating system (Windows 95 vs. NT).

If this is Personal Oracle 7.2 or 7.3 under Win95, then it should have somethink like oraautos.exe (I don't remember exactly) in BIN. Call this with ON option from DOS prompt and Oracle database will start automatically when any tool (such as SQL*Plus) is started. Probably, you can achieve the same result if you change the value of enviroment variable in Windows Registry (AUTOSTART or something like that).

At the same time, it sounds strange that Oracle starts automatically (as side effect) when you call SQL*DBA but does not start when you call SQL*PLus. May be, you should try to re-install.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

Seva Received on Tue Oct 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT